Wednesday, August 27, 2003

Queer

What does it mean to be queer?

Misunderstood
I consistently expose myself to other gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered folks and often forget that there's a large population of people that don't understand some issues of the GLBT community.

I was with a table of relatively sophisticated, urban co-workers a while ago who had no idea what Stonewall was, or that it used to be illegal for gays or lesbians to congregate as recently as the '60's (some folks would say it was illegal up until this year when the recent Supreme Court decision on sodomy laws was handed down).

Anyway, I just wondered if most of my readers understand why I use the term Queer when I define myself. I'd be interested to hear why you think I use that term. My next blog entry will give my rationale, but I thought it would be interesting to hear what others thought first.

Conflicting Priorities
As with many of you, I have a boatload of interests that keep me very busy. Often times those interests are in conflict based on the limited amount of time I have, and the balancing act seems to get more and more difficult.

Last night for instance, I had scheduled a massage in my hotel room. It kept me occupied until around 8:30. Afterwards I watched television and knit.

At around 9:30, I had to decide whether I should go to bed so I could get up early enough to work out (5:00), or stay up and knit more.

Normally, I would have gone to bed, but with the massage, I wouldn't have been able to report enough progress on the Passing Lane Pullover to make a decent blog entry, so I opted to stay up and knit a few more inches. Plus, I'm looking pretty damn good (if I do say so myself), and I felt I could forego one workout.

Knitting Progress
In addition to the knitting before bed, I also got a few rows in this morning. Overall I've done between 9 and 10 inches, and it's knitting up more quickly than I expected.



I anticipate that I'll be able to finish the back by this Friday or Saturday, and get some progress done on the front. I'm figuring it will go faster once I get to the arm hole shaping.

I'm also liking this design more and more as I knit it.

Reader Makeovers
More makeovers have come in since yesterday's blog post.

First of all we have my knitting pal, Lisa and her attempst at trailer trash chic. I'm so jealous that she took it so far over the top, and I settled for a comparatively sedate hairstyle.



Then we have Marie with this stellar entry. As she says, she's off to show this picture to her beautician.



I'm so glad the internet has such interesting places where you can do such fun things. Thank you both for your makeover contributions.

0 comments: