Wednesday, June 18, 2003

Browser Issues

It's sad when the technology of writing a blog takes longer than the activity about which the blog is written.

Donegal Revisited
For those of you who are having trouble viewing the quasi-corrected Donegal Gallery, first of all I apologize that I'm such a techno-idiot. Second, here are links to the pictures shown on the gallery so you can look at them individually.

Donegal 1

Donegal 2

Donegal 3

Donegal 4

Thanks everyone for the feedback. One of these days I'll purchase a web page developing tool, or have Thaddeus nick one for me from Kazaa. Fortunately, my day-to-day blogging doesn't require much HTML knowledge.

Mindless Knitting
I finished the first scarf using the Pep pattern yarn. It was fun and easy, and yes, mindless.

Have you ever seen a link to a "Free Scarf Pattern" on someone's post to a knitting list, and clicked on it only to find an advertisement for novelty yarn, and instructions to cast on 20 sts, knit each row until yarn is used up? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for surreptitious advertising on the knitting lists, but that one just galls me. Here's my new and improved Free Scarf Pattern.

Buy one ball of Pep yarn by Lana Grossa. I recommend Pep because it retails for a dollar cheaper than most fur novelty yarns and has about 30 more yards in a ball.

With a US11 needle, cast on 22 stitches. Knit two rows, purl two rows, and continue that way until you have about one yard of yarn remaining. Cast off loosely and weave in ends.

I say to Knit two rows and purl two rows because garter stitch doesn't allow for quite as much length to the scarf as double rows of knit and purl.

Pet Peeve
This is another vent, so if you're already irritated by my first one, don't read any further.

Someone on the big KnitList sent a post that notified listers of a pattern for an intarsia scarf pattern to make a piano keyboard (White and black keys). I went to check it out, and realized that the pattern could be made as instructed, but it would have been very difficult, and would have LOTS of ends woven into the "back" of the scarf (does a scarf have a back?).

With minor modifications, it could have been done a little more neatly (for instance, making the black keys four rows instead of three so the white yarn wouldn't be left stranded in the middle of the scarf when you needed it at the beginning of the next row.

Anyway, it appeared to be another way of surreptitiously advertising a web page under the guise of a "free pattern". The author was not overly pleased when I criticized the pattern either.

Finally

For lack of any other pictures of merit, I leave you with one of Gage. He was on my lap while I knit Donegal for this lovely pose. He was behaving himself and not eating yarn, so I let him sit there (did I already publish this picture?...oh well, I like it even if I did).



0 comments: