Wednesday, April 30, 2003

Worst Case Scenario

I'm usually pretty lucky when it comes to things turning out better than expected. Not this time.

Major Setback
It was no wonder that the number of stitches on either side of the neck steek weren't even. It turns out that I followed the instructions for the smallest size when I created the sleeve steeks, and I'm making the middle size.

I started to fix this by ripping things out row by row and winding the lengths of yarn onto the appropriate ball of yarn. Then I realized I could just snip a stitch below the sleeve steek and unravel one row to disconnect the top from the bottom. It seems to have worked out fine.



If it turns out that I don't have enough yarn to complete the sweater, I will go back and unravel enough from this waste piece. Hopefully it won't be necessary.

Sara Cardigan Revisited
For those of you who remember (or care), I had a picture of a cardigan that I made using an Adrienne Vittadini yarn called Sara. It is by far the most comfortable, warm and great looking sweater I ever made. I used a simple top-down raglan technique, with a center steek for the front opening. The yarn is so incredible, it made the sweater great.

The one complaint I had with the sweater is that the button band and the buttonhole band don't have enough structure to them and it looks a little sloppy when it's buttoned up.

You might also recall that a while ago, when I was making the purple, hooded, zipper cardigan for my niece, I bought some gros grain ribbon for both the purple sweater and the Sara Cardigan. Well, I finally got around to starting to sew in the gros grain into the Sara Cardigan. Hopefully that will be done tomorrow, so I can wear this sweater at work.

Weekend Follies
I usually don't discuss non-knitting events on this blog unless they are somehow knit-related. I went to a show on Saturday night, and the most knit-related comment I can come up with is that it kept me from knitting a lot on Saturday night, so you know it's something I was excited about.

Thaddeus, his boss, his bosses partner and I went to see John Waters talk at the Trocadero in Philadelphia. They offered a standard audience/speaker show, but also for an extra fee, we got to do a pre-show meet and greet with Mr. Waters. For those of you unfamiliar with his work, he is a movie director of trashy movies like "Pink Flamingos" and "Female Troubles", starring a wonderfully trashy transvestite named Divine. The more mainstream of you might have seen his more recent movies, "Polyester", "Hairspray" and "Cry Baby". Here's a picture of Thaddeus and me with Mr. Waters.



The best part of the evening was the pre-show meet and greet where we actually got to interact with him as a small group (of about 50 people) and then short 2-3 minute one-on-one's with him directly. He is wonderfully sarcastic, and very funny. Overall a great time.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greaat begining for a gay knitters site. look forward to more from you and others. I cannot put my projects down either, I like to see them evolve.