Monday, November 11, 2002

Welcome to the first entry in my personal knitting blog!

First, a little about me. I’m a 43 year old gay man, and I’ve been in a relationship with my partner for 19 years (as of Friday of this week).

I’ve been knitting for about 18 years, and it is my primary passion in life. I learned to knit by reading a basic pattern book from the early 1900’s from Paton’s. As such, I taught myself to make men’s underwear as one of my first projects. They were made in fine baby-weight merino wool, and looked a lot like the boxer-briefs that you can buy today. Going back to my roots, I just purchased some off-white baby-weight merino to make myself underwear again.

I’ve knit sweaters, socks, blankets, felted purses and slippers, toys, afghans, hats and gloves. I make a lot of gifts, and I also knit a lot for my partner and myself. I always have multiple projects being worked on. Right now, I’m actively working on a sweater kit from Scotland for my partner’s sister (I call her my sister-out-of-law). She bought the kit expecting to knit it herself, but never got to it. I finally convinced her to bring it to me so she could at least have the sweater as a remembrance of her trip to Scotland (instead of a bag of wool).

I’ve also got a Koigu kit for an Oriental Jacket that’s ¼ finished, an afghan experiment to replicate something my partner’s grandmother made for him, and a few other projects that I wouldn’t exactly say were being actively worked on.

I do some designing for a local yarn store near my home, so you can see additional pictures of me modeling some of my work if you go to

I’ll eventually be putting pictures of my handiwork out here as I work on it so you can get a sense about how much I actually knit.