Monday, March 02, 2015

Pros and Cons of Linen Stitch

When I first started knitting and I would find variegated yarns in Woolworths (yes, I'm that old), I wish I had known about Linen Stitch back then.


The Versatile Color-Mixing Stitch Pattern - Linen Stitch

I think the Linen Stitch is one of the most under-utilized  stitch patterns in knitting...especially when it comes to variegated yarns and issues with streaks and pooling of colors.

First of all, the pattern stitch (for those who don't know it and don't want to search further on the internet:

Linen Stitch:

 Cast on any even number of stitches.

Row 1:  K1, Slip 1 (with yarn in front), rep to last 2 sts, K2
Row 2:  P1, Slip 1 (with yarn in back), rep to last 2 sts., P2

Pros:
Simple stitch with only a two row repeat
Creates flat, woven-like fabric that doesn't curl very much
Mixes colors well in variegated yarns, avoiding pooling
Works very well with striping different colors/colorways of yarns
Maximizes use of of yarn
Knit on needles much larger than what the yarn would normally call for

Cons:
Like 1X1 ribbing, requires the yarn to go back and forth between each stitch
Grows more slowly than most knitted fabric
Has no seam that is invisible when joined at the sides


Current Knitting

As noted, I do have progress photos of what I'm currently working on.  And of course, the first is the linen stitch blanket.


I have a few more feet of knitting on this beauty, and as noted in the description of the linen stitch, it stripes nicely and works well with variegated yarns.

I've also moved right along on my Kureyon socks.


They obviously don't match, but I like that (with all the knots in Noro yarns, it's very difficult to get two matching socks anyway...I've given up trying).  But the colors are stunning.

blog comments powered by Disqus