Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Post-Ribbing Bliss

On both of my knitting projects, I've made it past the ribbing section and they're both flying along.

On The Downhill

I consider easy knitting to have a few components:

  1. I don't have to look down at my knitting - if I can watch a dialogue-intensive movie with subtitles and keep up a decent pace of knitting...that's easy knitting.
  2. I can seemingly knit for hours without physical discomfort - with ribbing, the constant back and forth of the the feed-yarn makes my wrist and/or shoulder hurt after a while, whereas simple knitting or knitting one side, purling the other, my body can do comfortably for a long time.
  3. If I doze off during knitting it won't mess up any patterning.  Thaddeus has seen me snore and knit simultaneously and when that happens, I'm more often than not un-knitting at least a few stitches to re-establish whatever stitch pattern I'm working on.
  4. Requires not color changes and untangling of multiple strands of yarn.
  5. Can be done with a cat lying on half the project.
All in all, I enjoy any kind of knitting, but it's nice to just have mindless knitting to accomplish sometimes.

Current Knitting

Switching back and forth between the top-down raglan pullover and the zippered vest for Thaddeus' Aunt Dorothy.

I have to say, the Madeline Tosh DK is a bit bulkier than most DK's I've used, so this garment is DENSE.  But I will love wearing this when it gets colder

For the Aunt Dorothy vest, I plan on doing a simple band of Fair Isle patterning across the chest...nothing fancy just simple graphics I think.

Current Reading

I just finished reading The Orenda by Joseph Boyden, and I can recommend it highly.

The story of a French missionary's voyage into the Great Lakes area during the early European settlement of North America as seen from his point of view, a native American warrior and tribal leader's viewpoint, and his captured/adopted daughter's viewpoint.  The story is great, the writing is fantastic and I was glad to have gotten to read this.

I've just started reading The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami and Jay Rubin and so far, I'm quite pleased.  It's nice having friends that know what kind of books to recommend to me.

blog comments powered by Disqus