Saturday, December 04, 2004

You Should Write a Book

How many times has someone said that to you? Has it ever held any appeal?

Writing
I have dabbled with the idea of writing a book, but honestly, I don't think I write well enough, nor do I think I have anything worthy of writing about in a way that would speak to people. It's also a lot of hard work to pull together a book. The project seems daunting from the start.

That's why I blog. Short little spurts of writing I can deal with.

I have wanted to try a writing experiment, and one day I may, if I can figure out the structure around it. The idea is something like this.

Get a group of people that want to participate. Establish an on-line place (such as a shared blog space) where all participants could access. Then, as a group, start to collaborate on writing a book.

Rules would be pretty simple:

1. You can write anything you want, as long as it's consistent with what's been written so far.
2. Everytime you add a new character to the book, you have to complete a character profile so others writing about the character can know who they are.
3. You can edit any other participant's writing.
4. You can collaborate/gang up with any of the participants to forward your ideas.
5. All authors must agree when writing is complete.
6. A final editing would be completed by a smaller, select group of the authors, who would title the book.

I'm not sure if it should work by having one author "owning" the book for a period and then passing it onto the next, or whether it should be able to be worked on by multiple authors at once. Or perhaps, the book could be sectioned off, and you would have to check out a section to work on that part.

Any thoughts/ideas out there?

Knitting
I've started the first sleeve using the "magic loop" idea (what a stupid name).



I did some more work on the Christmas hat and it's looking quite fine, if I do say so myself.



Here's a closeup of the single stitch Fair Isle I'm doing with constantly changing colors.



The gauge is tight for this hat, so the wooden needles are making it quite a lot more enjoyable to work with.

Kathy asked for more details.

I saw CC from Simply Knit working on one of these hats, and I'm not sure where she got the idea, but I liked how it was looking. The best part is it doesn't require much thought at all to color combinations. Just keep changing one of the two colors every four rounds of knitting.

I also haven't decided how I'll shape the top of the hat yet, but I think I'll just do a front and back shaping of four decreases every round (two in the front and two in the back). I'm hoping it will make it look like a ski hat shape.

Readers' Comments/Questions
First off, thank you for all the spinning advice. As a newbie, I'm still amazed at the amount of knowledge out there.

Here's what I think I'm going to do:

1. Spin up a bobbin of each color of merino and for each color, wind the singles onto two toilet paper rolls cut to size.

2. Double Ply a length of one color, and then switch to the next color during the plying process.

I'm not sure if I'll measure the length of each color, or just let it be random so the stripes won't be uniform. It will depend on how difficult it is to keep it even.

Suffice it to say, I'll have plenty of spinning to do before I begin the plying process, since I have so many colors to work with.

Diane asks about the Surina Wood needles.

Many sock knitters don't enjoy working with five doublepointed needles and are more comfortable working with either one or two circular needles. There are others that wouldn't think of doing socks on circulars. My hands are also large, so I prefer working on the 7" needles (the 5" poke the heel of my hand when I'm working with them). I will say that the wood needles are far superior to the metal needles. Lighter, a nicer glide of the yarn and warm in the hands than metal.

Thanks to Kim Salazar for her alternate review of Knitters.

That kind of thoughtful writing is the main reason her blog is one of the few must reads on my list of blogs.

Camille mentions that she likes the wobbly ribs.

The only thing I liked about the wobbly ribs is the stitch pattern itself. There are three different versions of sweater using this pattern stitch and not only is the finishing awful, but the shaping (or lack) of these sweaters is boring and amateur.

0 comments: