Monday, December 06, 2004

Out of Control

I just can't seem to maintain any level of balance in my eating. I'm either eating all protein or glutting myself with sugar.

Weight Issues
I've known for a little while that my weight was getting out of control, but I didn't realize the extent of it, until Thaddeus snapped this picture.



Like the old joke, I have more chins than a Chinese phone book.

This is the worst time of year for me with folks constantly offering cookies and candy. And since I'm a stress-eater, and the holidays always bring an added level of stress, curbing my eating becomes even more difficult.

So, from now until the beginning of the year (a completely manageable time frame), I will be eating a more balanced diet, reducing any of the "white" foods (sugar, flour and rice) and increasing vegetables and fiber.

Knitting
First the good news.

I completed the first Christmas hat and it looks cool. Not so sure it looks so great on an actual person.



As Marilyn mentioned, the decreasing was bound to interupt the one by one color change. I kind of like the interruption.



Julianne also asked if I could have done this as a slip stitch pattern. An excellent question, and the answer is definitely yes. Since I can do two-handed knitting, it was just faster for me to do it in Fair Isle fashion.

Now the bad news.

I got totally bored with the wool/hemp sweater and just couldn't stomach working more on the sleeves. The lack of color was so egregious, I couldn't stand it one second longer.

However, I did start a new project with the laceweight merino I got at Morehouse Merino. I've decided to make a simple, lacey evening wrap.



I'm using a simple pattern from one of the lace-knitting books I had at home. The original pattern calls for a white tape, but it's coming out quite well using the merino.



I wish I could show you the deep, smokey colors in the merino. When I finish this beauty, and block it, it will be stunning.

Readers' Comments/Questions
Thanks for all the feedback and the links regarding the writing project.

With all this new information, I'll need to think through how I want to proceed (or not). I may think about doing a mini-experiment by inviting a bunch of knitdweebs to write one book and my blog readers to write the other one and see how they turn out. Kind of like adding a control subject to the experiment, no?

Pubah asks about my self-striping sock venture by inquiring if I could just spin equal two singles alternating each color evenly and then ply them evenly to get the effect I'm looking for.

That was what I considered doing first, but I think mixing the colors during plying will be easier to regulate. I'll let you know in a year or so.

0 comments: