Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Holiday Respite

I celebrate Christmas with family on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I celebrate Christmas with friends on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. In between, I rest.

Christmas Gifts
I got some extraordinary gifts this year. Some things were exactly what I asked for, and others were items that I didn't request, but should have. So far it's been a very successful gift giving and receiving time of year.

One of my favorite quotes of this year's holiday season comes from Thaddeus. Anytime a child would be acting up, he'd admonish with, "You just made the baby Jesus cry!"

He could have said it a thousand times and I would have laughed each time.

Fiber Related Gifts
In addition to the gift certificate for WEBS that I showed in the last entry, the same sister-out-of-law gave me this book:

It's "Spinning Designer Yarns" by Diane Varney.

On first review, it looks to be a very well done book. I can't wait to try out some of the techniques and hopefully apply some of them to my non-designer yarn spinning as well.

And of course, I opened James' thoughtful gift, all the way from New Zealand. It was a great t-shirt with the following logo:

If you can't read it, it's Shep's Sheep Shearing, Auckland, New Zealand...He "Shave(s) wool with his big tool". Thaddeus got some of the amazing chocolate that James' friend makes. His was flavored with Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh...yes, it actually had gold flakes in it, and it tasted wonderful.

Thanks again James, this is very cool.

WEBS Experience
I have to say, that the after-Christmas sale at WEBS is overwhelming. I spent less than an hour in the store and walked out with a big bagful of things and a hangover from the experience.

Suffice it to say, I spent more than the $50 gift certificate.

My first purchase was a new yarn of theirs that is very similar to Manos, called Malabriga.

I bought enough to supplement my current stash of Manos so I can make myself a Manos throw like I made for my mom.

Then I bought a couple of basic yarns for making more of the felted slippers.

The Cascade 220 will be used to make the tops and the Lamb's Pride worsted will be used for the soles and bumpers.

Finally, I purchased that last item on my list of things to purchase.

After having experienced a little bit of handcarding at the Great Wheel spinning workshop I participated in, I decided I needed to get myself a pair of handcarders so I could do more. Now I just need to buy some fleece to play with.

Once I had my shopping list complete, I looked around for anything else that screamed at me louder than the rest of the fiber. First I saw this...

The picture doesn't do the color justice. It's a little over five pounds of what appears to be light, worsted weight tweed wool in a vibrant green color. This will make a fantastic sweater.

The last thing I picked up was some more KFI Cashmereno.

These two bags of soft yarn will also be made into a spectacular sweater.

Now I can say that I've been to Mecca.

I did virtually none of the above over the Christmas weekend. I'll provide what little update I have in the next entry.