Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Empty Gestures

Thank you Lisa for putting into words the EXACT thing I despise...Empty Gestures.

Laziness
I blame it all on laziness.

It comes in many forms. My initial rage against empty gestures came in the form of the Newcomer Rules. I didn't put the "empty gesture" label on it, but that was exactly what I was trying to describe with commenters adding no value in their comments. Adding a comment so they can feel they belong to something is an empty gesture.

Forwarding electronic petitions, or web sites or pleas for action are oftentimes empty gestures.

And of course, readers completely understand the lazy, hypocritical concept of magnetic car ribbons. Based on a cheesey song, no less.

My favorite comments were the folks that called on readers to do something. To contribute. To add value in some way.

Folks that have been reading this blog for a while know that I'm not a big self-promoter when it comes to charitable contributions. I think charity should be personal, and that the act of charity should be the reward. The concept of a Random Act of Kindness is a wonderful thing, until bastardized by the folks who do it for recognition.

In my mind, looking for acceptance from others in any way is a statement that you don't think you're sufficient. My advice to folks like that would be to work on understanding your own self worth, and then your need for recognition will be diminished.

Blog Pictures
I left the friggin' battery for my digital camera in the charger at home, so I won't be able to take any new pictures this week....argh!

I have made feeble attempts with PaintShopPro to mock up pictures of my progress.

Knitting
I made my way up to the collar shapping on the front of the Wool/Hemp sweater. I have to admit, I'm worrying I won't have enough yarn to do the sleeves.


I also started working on a hat (which will possibly be the first of many for Christmas gifts).



I'm doing a simple Fair Isle design of alternating colors every stitch and then changing one of the colors every fourth row and the other color on the following fourth row (or in other words, changing the background color and the foreground color every eight rows).

I'm using the 7" double-pointed surina wood needles and they work great with all this leftover Shetland wool.

Spinning
After I finished the Jacob Select, my hands were itching to get a hold of the merino I bought in 10 different colors. I chose the most interesting color of them all and started spinning.



I'm spinning a very fine single that will hopefully double-ply into sock yarn. It took me a few tries to get the feel for this short-staple fiber, but now it's spinning along like a dream.

I'm trying to figure out if I can successfully make this into self-striping sock yarn when I ply it. It will mean spinning singles with all of the colors and moving them off the bobbins before plying. I'm not sure how best to do that, or if I'll do it at all.

Knitters Review
I mentioned that the most recent issue of Knitters wasn't as awful as the web previews would have made it seem.

There were a total of 23 designs in this issue for a newstand prices of US$5.50.

Bad Designs
Wobbly Ribs by Kathy Zimmerman - Awful shaping and design...a family of horrors
Holiday Wrap by Linda Pratt - Simply bad...with help from Irene Washington??? She needed help?
Gold Rush by Sally Mellville - Some might like this, I thought it looked like a rag.
Peacock Plumes by Denise Powell - A one shoulder strap nightmare in royal blue faux fur.
Peppermint Swirl by Julie Gaddy - A waste of bad yarn.
Tassles and Triangles by Suzanne Atkinson - A ridiculous scarf with a more ridiculous hat.
Sock Scarf by Robyn Hamilton - This has already been discussed way too much.
Argyle For All Seasons by Joanne Yordanou - Picture Rodney Dangerfield trying to look garish in Caddy Shack.


Good Designs
Hats by Gerdine Strong - Great colors and interesting design.
cranberry Squares Hat by Janis Witkins - I like this.
Victorian Ruby by Jane Sowerby - Quite beautiful looking even with a difficult color.
Kindred Spirits by Elizabeth Lavold - Classic Lavold, gorgeous.
Snowdrift Aran by Heather Lodinsky - Simple and beautiful.
Tea Rose by Jean Frost - Another simple, classic design.
Asian Garden by Jo Sharp - The nicest looking sweater in Knitters in a LONG time.

The magazine is worth getting for the Lavold and Sharp designs alone. If you're interested in hats, you should definitely pick this issue up.

The articles are uninspiring and easy to skip.

0 comments: