Wednesday, October 13, 2004

First Things First

I know I said I'd blog about spinning today (which I will), but it is politics season, and I'm hunting politicians.

Points of View
I got an e-mail forwarded to my work e-mail address that started off with the following paragraph:

Not since the days of George Washington and Abraham Lincoln has a president put so much stock in his Christian faith and prayer life for making decisions and leading the United States in its hour of crisis. According to BBC correspondent Justin Webb: "Nobody spends more time on his knees than George W. Bush. The Bush administration hums to the sound of prayer. Prayer meetings take place day and night. It's not uncommon to see White House functionaries hurrying down corridors carrying Bibles."

Now I thought, "God, how freakin' awful...this e-mail might be interesting."

Until I read further and realized the e-mail was saying this was a GOOD thing. Ugh!

I'm all for prayer and spirituality, but please God, don't we have enough fanaticism with Al Quaeda?

Back to Spinning
Anyway, this past weekend, I was planning on devoting most of my time to knitting...until...

Flea Market Find
Thaddeus is incredibly thoughtful.

As we wandered through the flea market on Saturday, there were very few vendors. The weather was misty, and for some reason, Saturdays aren't very popular days for this particular flea market.

But he did spot this:

He said, "wouldn't that make a good spinning chair?"

After testing it out on my ass, and realizing it was, in fact, perfect for a spinning chair, it didn't leave Thaddeus much bargaining room with the seller.

We paid $30, and it inspired me to do...

Spinning Progress
I set back to work on the Jacob Select in the deep brown color, and after seemingly no time at all, I had filled up two full bobbins.

The combined singles equate to about 1,000 meters of singles, and after double-plying, will be about 500 meters of finished yarn.

I am having trouble holding off starting a new sweater with the first hank of this yarn I finished a few weeks ago.

Sock Needle Orders
I have to say, I'm overwhelmed with how enthusiastic folks have been about the new wooden sock needle venture.

Thank you all for the orders, and I can't wait till you get to use them.

Readers' Comments/Questions
Speaking of which, Kim mentions that a few folks with knitting blogs have been spammed by my needle exporters.

The company hasn't promised exculisivity at all on importing these needles, so there may be other suppliers in the states for them. I'm only doing this because I like the needles, and I had the skill set to bring them to market here relatively quickly. I'm not concerned about others selling them as this isn't a critical business for me.

Charlotte asks, what are the prices for the needles, and what sizes are they?

On the web site, it details that the needles are 5 inches in length, and come in US needle sizes zero through six with two half sizes (US 1.5 and US 2.5) for those of you for whom .25 millimeters is important.

Finally, Debi asks if there are any other lenghts except 5".

I can get the longer needles, and will on my next order, but I don't anticipate that will be for a month or so. I'll let y'all know when I do.

Next Blog Entry - Knitting Update