Monday, September 20, 2004

Stupid Americans

The presidential election has made me realize (again) that this country is chock full of some of the dumbest and most superficial people on the planet.

Many Demonstrations of Stupidity
I've known of the general stupidity of the majority of Americans for a long time, and the election is clearly demonstrating that more and more. Obviously, the "I'd rather drink a beer with dubya, so he'd make a better president" mentality is a huge symptom.

But, for you non-political folks, I have always known that Americans are easily duped by something as simple as an English accent.

Early on in my career, I worked as an Expatriate Compensation Analyst. Basically what that means is that I paid special benefits to employees of a large bank who worked outside of their home country.

What I quickly found out was that people with English accents could be equally as stupid, or greedy, or obnoxious, or ill-bred, or rude, or any other negative characteristic as anyone else.

But for some reason, Americans think that a British accent automatically bestows some higher level of intelligence, or wit, or charm, or riches, or politesse, or any other positive characteristic. And the majority of Brits understand this fact, and use it to their advantage.

During my work as an Expatriate Compensation Analyst, I administered benefits for some of the cheapest, rudest, most demanding Brits I've ever met, and so an English accent automatically makes me despise the person until they prove worthy. I guess I'm just as superficial as the rest of the country.

How many folks would you bet have some of the following preconceived notions:

- French accent means the person is sexier and more romantic
- Southern accent means the person is dumber
- Irish accent means the person is more fun and adventurous
- Urban expressions make the person less trustworthy

Knitting Get-Together
Kathy, Marilyn and I got together for lunch yesterday, and to go yarn shopping.

Lunch was extremely enjoyable as expected. I've never been with people who were so interesting that we never run out of interesting conversations. Gossip about yarn companies, news about stores, stories about Kaffe, knit magazine editor stories...and on and on.



I took this with a timer so we could all be in the picture.

While lunch was amazing, both the local yarn stores are closed on Sundays, so we didn't get to shop for yarn.

Knitting
I'm still working on the crochet jacket in Noro Ganpi and I'll be starting the sleeves on Thaddeus' red Morehouse Merino pullover.

I'll be up in Albany for two straight weeks this week, so I should make great progress on both garments.

Picture later this week.

Readers' Comments/Questions
Thanks all for advice for Carol G.'s tight edge problem and for your driving pet peeves. You reminded me of a few more of my own and got me steamed all over again.

0 comments: