Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Near-Perfect Blog

That's how my blog was described by Jean Miles on the KnitList.

Insult or Compliment?
Given that it was Jean that wrote it, I am very flattered, and consider it a great compliment.

Given that it was on the KnitList, I'm afraid what the result will be to the readership of the blog.

With the comments of regular, sharp-tongued readers and reminding folks of the Newcomer Rules, I'm sure the integrity of this blog can be maintained regardless of any onslaught of new readers.

Thanks to Ann in PA (and a couple of other readers) for alerting me to the KnitList entry (else I NEVER would have seen it).

Very Busy Weekend
I had to work this past Friday and Saturday in Albany, which significantly cut into my knitting time.

Another series of events that cut into my knitting time was the result of what I did on my day off on Sunday. Since I was in Albany, I scheduled two special events:

1. I went to an Eastern Orthodox mass at a gorgeous monastery in New Skete, NY. The setting was magnificent, and no one knows how to overdo like the Orthodoxy. Music was extraordinary as well.

2. I spent the rest of the day at Easton Mountain retreat in Easton, NY with a friend who had invited me up for the day. The serenity and peace of walking around the grounds there were magical. The food was simply extraordinary, and I even got to see folks building a cob house on the property.


All-in-all, it was a great weekend (although I missed Thaddeus terribly), but I didn't get a lot of knitting done.

Knitting
I did get some work done on the sleeve of Thaddeus' sweater, but after the magnificent praise from Jean on the KnitList, my progress is woefully inadequate.



I promise to do a lot more this weekend when I'm home for the first time in two weeks.

New Project
I've decided to start a new secret project that I won't be posting progress on the blog. As it will be a gift, I don't want the recipient seeing it before it's done.

But I figure I can show y'all the yarn I'll be using for it.



I'm hopeful I'll be able to make good progress on Thaddeus' sweater, the crochet jacket and the red baby blanket for my brother and sister-in-law expecting in October, and the new project won't interfere in progress on those projects.

Readers' Comments/Questions
I'm glad I get to relate the story that we heard about Kaffe and Brandon. While it's not as good as Mary-Helen's story of how Kaffe met the Queen of England, it's the best I could do:

The story goes that Kaffe bought a new house in some re-gentrifying shore area of England.

The woman next door is somewhat interesting for the area, in that she keeps livestock on her property (like goats and chickens, or something), and Kaffe found that particularly endearing.

What he didn't find endearing was her massive collection of garden gnomes in her adjoining back yard. He and Brandon visited her to discuss them, and she adamantly refused to remove her prized collection.

Kaffe insisted that he didn't want to remove them at all, but wanted to volunteer his and Brandon's services to "refurbish" them, as they were in dire need of some repainting.

Upon her agreement, Kaffe and Brandon supposedly repainted her army of gnomes in Kaffe colors.

She is quite thrilled with the result, and Kaffe now has his own art exhibit in her back yard. Winners all around.


Jane from Nova Scotia also notes that with same-sex marriages now legal in Nova Scotia, I could participate in some multi-tasking by bringing Thaddeus up to get married, and then checking out their fine list of yarn stores up there. Jane denies it, but I'm convinced she's head of the local business advocacy group up there.

0 comments: