Friday, April 23, 2004

New Skill

I'm always thrilled to learn something new, especially when it comes to knitting. Even more thrilling, is the fact that I have enormous resources at my disposal for learning new things.

Applied I-Cord
I've done lots of i-cord in my day, but I've never had the opportunity to do applied i-cord.

I've seen it used as an edging. I even like it. Now it's time for me to learn how to do it.

ChicKnits has a good description of the technique, and an interesting description of how she figured it out by herself. I always like those kinds of discoveries, and having read her description, I wish I had been so clever.

Now I can't wait to use the new technique as the edging on the blanket.

I'm toying with the idea of doing it in multi-colors, but I'm not sure I want the busy of an edging on the blanket. I may try it to see if I like it, and if I don't, then just do the i-cord in the final square color, purple.

Current Knitting
I've got a few more painfully long rounds to do on the purple, and then, of course, even longer i-cord to do.

I'm hopeful to get the lion's share of this blanket done this weekend, so I can move on to something else this coming week.

Next Project
I haven't thought for a while what my next project would be. I'm thinking I could do any of the following:

1. Make headway on designing/knitting a Fair Isle design of my own.
2. Pick up some long-abandonned project and work on that.
3. Start a Manos throw for myself (I envy the one I made for my mother every time I go to her house).
4. Decide on some other random project.

The Fair Isle is my favorite idea, but I'd have to buy the yarn once I completed the initial design ideas. I have a lot of jumper weight Shetland, but I know I'd want to select more colors than what I have.

The abandonned project would be good for trying to tidy up my life and living area a little, but there are reasons these projects have been abandonned.

The Manos throw would go quickly, and I'd enjoy it, but the weather has gotten quite warm here lately, and a blanket in my lap wouldn't help much.

Readers' Comments/Questions
I just wanted to thank Kim for giving credit for the spiralling squares design to Joan Shrouder. Joan has long been an active member of the internet knitting community. I'm sure this isn't the first thing that others have borrowed from her.