Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Knitting Dilemnas

Just how important could a choice about knitting be?

Project Design
If I didn't have a blog readership looking over my shoulder, I think I would just quit working on the new baby blanket project. It's getting too hard.

First of all, as stupid as this sounds, I didn't know how to do a M1 on a purl row.

When I do a M1 on a knit row, I know how to pick up the yarn between the two stitches below and place it on the left needle so that it twists just right when I knit it, and there is no resulting hole in the

I figured it would be pretty easy on a purl row as well, but I have to say, it wasn't as intuitive as I
would have guessed. After working the first square, I had holes at each increase.

I ripped it out and started again.

This time, I didn't like the color order that I started with, so I ripped it out again.

Finally, I've made some small progress and I like the colors and there are no holes....

...but, after only two color squares, I'm already up to 124 stitches in each round. And EVERY
round increased by 4 more stitches, and that means every square, increases by 48 stitches.

With 14 more squares to go, I'll have almost 800 stitches on the needles by the time I bind off the outer square.

I'm thinking it would be easier to make another completely new sweater design with leggings, hat and booties.

Color Joins
Reader Sharolene asked in an e-mail how I join in new colors on a two-sided garment and still make sure it looks good on both sides.

I have to admit, that I don't think there is any way to really do that well, especially on two-sided garments, like blankets and scarves.

Here are my tips:

  • When I have to weave in the two ends when the color changes, I try to make sure I weave across an entire row, so it at least looks uniformly bad across the row.

  • If the garment has two or three colors that alternate every 2 or 4 rows, I try to weave the unused color(s) up the side of the garment, and never cut them so I don't have ends to weave in.

  • If a blanket is going to have many ends to weave in, I will consider doing something else, or lining the blanket with flannel or something soft.

  • Finally, there is a technique called the "Russian join" that I've tried, but I don't like very much. Here's a site that explains it with pictures.

I find it leaves the yarns too bulky at the join, but it might work better with a different yarn.

Blog Charity Knitting
Thanks to reader, Anjeanette, it looks like I've found the charity that I'd like to support on this blog.

MANNA, The Metropolitan AIDS Neighborhood Nutrition Alliance provides nutritional support by the delivery of meals and groceries to homes and congregate meal sites for persons living with HIV/AIDS.

MANNA promotes an understanding of HIV/AIDS wellness through nutritional education and counseling. Through these services MANNA provides opportunities by which caring people can extend loving support to families, friends, and neighbors living with HIV/AIDS

Specifically, MANNA has an annual auction called "Show of Hands" where local artists and craftspersons donate pieces for auction. The auction has brought in over $100,000 each of the five last years.

I've been in contact with the folks at MANNA, and I'm trying to decide if I can pull something together for donation for this year's auction (May 21st) or whether I should do a community effort of blog readers and contribute something on a larger scale for next year's auction.

I'll let y'all know either way.

Readers' Comments/Questions
Mary asks if all the compliments about Thaddeus don't persuade him, will I get the sweater.

Just so you know, he saw the blog yesterday, and hates all of the pictures. It looks like I may get the sweater afterall.