Tuesday, March 23, 2004


I don't disparage those folks that decide to be parents, but I am glad I'm not a parent myself.

Chock-a-Block Family
Thanks everyone for the nice comments on the chock-a-block sweaters.

Marina was a sweetheart the entire time she was at the yarn store, including during the extended photo shoot. Click here to see five photos of she and I together. Thank goodness Janis has a camera, and knows how to use it.

Whenever I'm with an infant for a little while, I'm always amazed at the incredible amount of attention they require. Even the most delightful child (like Marina) requires someone to look after her feeding and spitting up and cradle rocking and making sure she's not too warmly dressed in a merino sweater, and, and, and, and...it never seems to end.

It gives me newfound admiration for my parents (who had 7 of us), and for parents like Janis.

Current Knitting
I made siginificant progress on the second sleeve of the Morehouse Raglan.

With a little luck, I might even get to wear this sweater on Thursday. Just one half of a sleeve more to do, and then a quick neck finishing and it's done.

A reader asked how I could hate Winter when it gave me so much opportunity to wear knitwear. In some ways I agree with him, but I'd be just as happy living in a tropical climate, and making lace or knit gifts for friends and family still stuck where it snows.

Next Project
I also got a little more done on the baby blanket.

I've had a number of folks ask for the pattern. The pattern is by Nancy Hearne and it's free on the web. Here is the link again for those interested in a great little blanket. I don't suggest starting this one if you've never done cables or eyelets before.

It's not hard, but it's also not very well described in the pattern.

Readers' Comments/Questions
Amy asks what kind of edgings I'm doing on the Morehouse Merino.

Two simple things. First, I'm doing about three inches of the 4X4 rib in a smaller needled (going from a US8 for the body to a US6 for the edge ribbing). It's subtle, but slightly different.

I'm also using a Kitchener-like bind off to make sure I maintain some elasticity.

Jane asks about information on designing men's cardigans.

I like to have at least one reliable cardigan in my wardrobe (mostly to keep at work when it gets chilly). Mine is a simple raglan cargigan done in a luxurious Sara by Adrienne Vittadini (77% wool, 16 mohair and 7% nylon). It is warm and soft and better than my old baby blanket. I knit it up in a very conservative dark olive (they call it Army Green). I used the same Incredible Custom Fit Raglan pattern as I'm using for the Morehouse Raglan. I just put in a steek for the front button band. It was also plain stockinette.

Here's my advice on designing men's cardigans.

Simple is best. Dark colors work well (unless you're Kaffe Fassett). Use the same shaping as you'd use for a loose crew-neck sweater (I think deep v-neck cardigans look bad). Make cardigans about 1.5 inches longer then a crew-neck sweater.

Other than that, you can do anything you want in the color design. Pick a two-color pattern stitch from one of the Barbara Walker Treasuries, or the Harmony Guides.