Thursday, March 04, 2004

Gratuitous

Merriam Webster:

gra·tu·itous
Pronunciation: gr&-'tü-&-t&s, -'tyü-
Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin gratuitus, from gratus
1 a : given unearned or without recompense b : not involving a return benefit, compensation, or consideration c : costing nothing : FREE
2 : not called for by the circumstances : UNWARRANTED

Blog Links
I was checking out other sites that were referencing my blog yesterday, and someone kindly listed me as their favorite blog of the day because of the "gratuitous underwear pictures".

I'm assuming she meant the second definition above.

While I liked that I was her favorite of the day, I wasn't sure I liked the connotation of gratuitous in this case.

I felt the pictures were called for and in fact added to the content of my blog.

Political Groundswells
I find the concept of groundswells and political climate changes very interesting. Lately, despite surveys that show the majority of this country is against gay marriage, there seem to be an abundance of folks that are even more against the folks calling for constitutional amendments.

Check out MoveOn.org to look at the incredible number of hours that folks have committed to remove George W. from office.

Also check out Lizzy's blog where she links to the Democratic party's web site, requesting that all her readers donate at least the cost of one skein of yarn to help remove the incumbent president.

More and more I see things turning to a more "fair and balanced" view of democracy in this country. I'm just hoping it doesn't peak and dwindle off before the elections in November.

Knitting
I just remembered (again) how difficult it is to work on fine gauge garments when trying to maintain a blog.

Believe it or not, I worked on both the Kid Alpaca Bedspread and the Vacation Sock in the last two evenings, despite how it doesn't appear possible from these pictures.





I'm just up to the heel shaping on the sock, so I'll continue to work on these two projects here in Albany, and then I'll switch to something else this weekend if I can just figure out what I want to work on.

Next Project
I've been itching to start working with the light gray, Moorehouse merino I've had in my stash for a while.



I honestly just don't know what I want to make with it. If I remember correctly, the yarn is a heavy worsted weight, and it is one of the softest yarns I've ever purchased.

I'm thinking a sweater, and right now I'm picturing a pullover. Perhaps a simple raglan, ribbed pullover would look perfect with this yarn.

Since I haven't even swatched it yet, I really don't know what kind of fabric it will make, but for right now, I'm sticking with a wide-ribbed raglan.

Any other thoughts?

Readers' Comments/Questions
Scott wants to know if the underwear is hot, or the model. Sean wants to know how the "boys" like them.

I'm assuming Sean means my cackies (or is my mind still in the gutter and he means all my numerous sex partners). The "boys" are quite comfortable, and any hotness in the picture is due to the camera angle and a timely tan.

Jane wants to know if Thaddeus and I will be marrying in New Paltz.

Thaddeus and I have already had a small committment ceremony, and until marriage will allow us to share social security benefits, and own a house in a truly joint way, then I won't be getting married.

0 comments: