Monday, March 15, 2004

Beware the Ides

It always seems that typically "bad" days (e.g. Friday, the 13th and the Ides of March) turn out to be lucky days for me.

Baby Blanket - Pattern Annoyance
Since the yarn was sitting there all soft and warm, I figured I could at least read the pattern to see what it was going to be like.

And then I saw it. Here is the designer's instructions for 2X2 Ribbing:

Row 1: R. S. *K2, p2, repeat from * across.
Row 2: *K the k sts, p the p sts, repeat from * across.

Now, I know what 2X2 ribbing is, and I've seen this description of "K the K sts and P the P sts" enough times to know that the designer means to Knit the back of the purl stitches and purl the back of the knit stitches. I just think it's not a very accurate description, especially for new knitters.

If I didn't know how to make 2X2 ribbing and I read those instructions, I would not come up with ribbing, I would have double moss stitch. In my mind, I would be knitting into the back of all the stitches I had just knit, and purling into the ones I had just purled on the prior row.

The thing I find most annoying about this instruction specifically, is that a more accurate and concise way of writing it would be:

Row 2: P2, *K2, P2, repeat from * across.

Current Knitting
I was annoyed enough with the pattern for the baby blanket, that I just decided to keep working on the Morehouse Raglan.

Thaddeus kept saying that the sweater looked ridiculously narrow, and I tried to explain that it was just the nature of the ribbing. So I had to try it on to show him.

While the angle of this picture isn't exactly flattering, I'm still hoping that the sturdiness of the finished fabric will not be completely form-fitting.

New Design Idea
I am just itching to try my hand at designing a Fair Isle.

My last Ron Schweitzer Fair Isle vest gave me two insights into Fair Isle design.

First, is a simple insight. Designing a vest is significantly easier to design and knit than a full sweater. The second insight is that the pattern design can (and should be) conceived in just black and white. Once I have the pattern design charted out, I can then select two sets of colors that will substitute for the black and white to get the standard Fair Isle look.

Not sure if it will work, but I'll keep you posted.