Tuesday, January 06, 2004

Last Word on Scarves

The remaining craft show scarves have come in very handy this year as Christmas gifts.

Niece Scarf
I had taken one of the scarves out of my craft show stash because my niece had asked if she could get a scarf made out of the trim yarn I was using on Rebekah II.

Since I had already completed two scarfs for the show with that very yarn, I decided to send her one.

This past Thursday, I went to her house and she told me how much she liked the scarf, but now her two sisters wanted scarves too. I fortunately have one scarf done in Dune (which is what one of my nieces wanted) and I have the partly finished scarf in my UFO list that I will finish tonight for the other niece.

Since I also had the last scarf from the show finished, I figured my sister might like it, so I'm sending off my last three scarves. I don't think I could have planned it all any where near as well.

Reader Plea
Patty, one of the blog readers sent a request for a pattern for Christmas Stockings that her grandmother had initially made. Since I haven't ever seen the pattern, I thought I'd ask if any of the readers have ever seen such a pattern.

Here's a picture of her grandmother's stockings:

Leave a comment or send an e-mail to me if you know where Patty could get such a pattern, and I'd be glad to pass on the information.

URGENT UPDATE: As I was researching the web site URL for the sock yarn question (below), I found some Christmas Stocking kits on Joslyn's web site that look a lot like Patty's grandmothers. Patty, check them out, but any other tips for locating would be appreciated.

Double Ruffle Crochet Scarf
A number of folks have asked or commented on the double ruffle scarf I started and frogged a while ago.

First of all, I want to say, a Fribble is a milkshake available at Friendly's restaurants (for those unfamiliar with this chain of restaurants, it's an inexpensive diner-like restaurant chain, known mostly for it's ice cream). The best flavor is coffee when it comes to Fribbles.

Second of all, the pattern is pretty simple, and Kathy might be able to provide changes, but here's my understanding of it:

1. With Koigu and an appropriate size crochet hook, chain stitch for as long as you want the finished scarf to be.

2. Double crochet into each chain stitch to the end of the chain.

3. Double crochet into the other side of each chain stitch back to the beginning of the chain.

4. Working in rounds, work 3 double crochets into each double crochet on the initial round.

5. Work two more rounds of double crochets into each double crochet (no more increases)

The result will be a double ruffle of Koigu color. Changing the colors of Koigu on the inside or outer round will make an interesting color combination.

Finally, Amber asks what yarn I was using. I was using Joslyn's Dancing Feet sock yarn in colorway Forest Floor.

You can check out all of Joslyn's amazing yarns at www.joslynsfiberfarm.com.

Other Readers' Comments/Questions
Kathleen asks if I've ever tried making my own buttons out of Fimo clay.

I haven't personally, but my craft show organizer/friend Nora has made Fimo buttons for me. I may try that for some other garment where I want that kind of look, but the buttons for Ronas Hill will be very simple and classic. I'm sure I'll be able to find some tonight at JoAnn's or Michaels.

Lisa mentioned the Addi Knitted Necklace.

While the knitted necklace wasn't fun, and didn't look very nice, the crochet one looks very cool, and my friend Janis says it's easy and fun. I forgot to mention that when I disparaged the Addi knitted necklace kit.