Monday, January 26, 2004

Blog Fame

I've decided there are pluses and minuses to having blog readers think they know me from my blog.

Being Known
I get a lot of e-mails, and during events like Stitches, a lot of people came up to me, having recognized me from these blog pages.

I like that...I enjoy that there are folks who enjoy my writing, my knitting and various aspects of myself that I share with you.

The hard part for me about being known is when readers communicate with me as if they know me personally. Don't get me wrong, I'm not very complex (in fact, actually rather simple). I know I share a lot of who I am on these pages. But there's a certain level of intimacy that occurs rather frequently in e-mails from blog readers (don't hasn't happened in a while, in case you've written me recently).

I bring this up for two reasons.

The first is I got a somewhat personal e-mail from someone who referenced my blog. I was rather surprised, but then I realized it was from a long-time friend who I haven't seen in over a decade. Seeing her e-mail made me realize that some readers do send such personal e-mails, and it is somewhat off-putting.

The second made me realize I was a culprit as well. I was reading Icarus' blog (remember, the guy that I wanted to compare Chibi's with?). As I read his 100 Things list, and looked at his picture, and read about his knitting, I starting realizing how much I like him.

And as much as he shares about himself, I don't even really know him.

On To Knitting
I finished the body of Rebekah III.

The picture is pretty awful, so I'll describe it a little.

The main body is done all in stockinette stitch.

At the bottom, I did a crochet ruffle edging. The neck hole is quite large, and I will be filling it in with some interesting edging that will have enough stretch to fit over a girl's head.

Now all I have to do is the sleeves and the neck edging and I can deliver it to the neighbor's daughter. Hopefully she'll like it.

Since I needed the measurements for Rebekah, I pulled out Rebekah II and realized I have very little left on that sweater as well. I think I will finish that one next.

Readers' Comments/Questions
Sharvanne asks if the lace stocking pattern is on-line somewhere.

I forgot to include the link, so here it is.

I was very serious about making these. While I might try them on, they won't be for me. I just thought they would be a fun project to make. I have some raw silk on a cone that would be perfect for them.

Geraldine asks if she can imitate the mini FiestaWare for her granddaughter Olivia.

I highly recommending stealing anything you can from this blog and/or other web sources. If you have any questions about how I did anything, feel free to ask. This pattern will never be published.

Finally, I wanted to thank Sharon for posting the web site for the incredible web site of our mighty leader. Flatulent pusbag, indeed. (for those of you who didn't catch it in comments)