Friday, December 12, 2003

Internet Knitter Tribute

All those who know the name Emily Way, raise their hand.

Knit Internet Pioneer
Finding knitting resources on the internet in my early days on the web was no where near as easy as it is today. One person seemed to have started this whole collection of valuable information gathering and putting it in useful format.

I've never met Emily, but I sure have gained from her initial foray into organzing electronic resources for knitters. I also gave her name out to many a customer at Tomato Factory who were looking for knitting information on the web, or information on how to get to the KnitList.

Group lists were somewhat daunting to join for newbies to the net, and Emily's web page guided the adventurous through the labrynth of information necessary to put them in touch with the on-line knitting community.

While I have thanked Emily in the past, I'd just like to post a public thank you as well.

Blog Contests
An internet knitting pioneer in her own right, Wendy is having her monthly contest going on now. Check out your knowledge of Wendiana by taking here WKSAT quiz and win some great yarn.

Marilyn is also having a contest. My favorite so far. Her crap-along challenges her readers to come up with a holiday knitted item that is garish and uses only non-natural fibers. Check it out.

Knitting Progress
I didn't do a lot of knitting this past week. But I was able to seam the shoulders and finish one of the sleeve edgings on Ronas Hill.

Here's a more detailed picture of the sleeve edging.

Reader Comments/Questions
Ms. Anne Thrope asks: Do all toe up socks look like that when knitted?: Shins disproportionately skinny to the foot? Or, must they be blocked to give them that "commercial" look?

All my socks look disproportionately skinny in the ankle compared to the foot. Regardless of whether I do them toe-up or cuff-down. I figure that as long as they fit well, I don't care much what they look like.

The socks I make on my antique sock knitting machine look much more like commercial socks, so perhaps it's just the difference between hand and machine knitting.